We have completely cut out tv during the week and it has been a game changer for our family. I highly recommend it if you are not doing this already. My girls are playing more than ever, less cranky and our house feels more alive and happy. Family Movie Nights have taken on more of a special role so I thought we would share our best movie picks for family movie night. I’d love to hear your favorites in the comments below. I also wanted to share our new Sven leather sectional because we’re obsessed with it.
*This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Our Top Ten Movies for Family Movie Night
2. E.T. – I know you’ve seen ET but have your kids? My kids really love this one. I did a lot of pre talk about certain potentially scary parts, like the beginning and when ET is in that hospital type place. My girls were surprisingly ok with it and really enjoyed this movie.
3. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – Ok, this one is like three movies in one. I cannot believe how long it is and how strangely made it is, but the great parts are great and the songs are awesome.
4. Heidi – The fact that my girls like Heidi makes me feel like a good mom. Anyone relate? This movie is just so nice and developmentally on point and I just love it. We all do.
5. The BFG – This is probably the most scary of all the movies my girls have watched so far. My almost 7 year old was totally fine with it but my five year old has been a bit fixated on monsters ever since. She still really liked it though and if your kids aren’t sensitive, this is such a great one. The book is REALLY good too. I used to read it to my first graders every year back in the day.
6. Pippi Longstocking – I mean, who’s cooler than Pippi? I mean, Punky Brewster is maybe a close second, put Pippi still comes out on top. We all love Pippi in our house. LOVE PIPPI. We listen to the audio book and watch the youtubes.
7. The Parent Trap – We like the original, though I’ve been told the new one is pretty good too. Hailey Mills just has my heart so it feels good to pass this one onto my girls.
Ok, these next three we haven’t watched yet but they are coming down the pike. I’m just not sure my little one is ready just yet but I wanted to put them on the list because we’ll definitely be trying these out. These are my three favorites from when I was a kid. (I also LOVED The Never Ending Story but I know my 5 year old is not ready for the Nothing right now, and in truth, she may never be.)
8. The Dark Crystal – I remember this movie just kind of blew my mind when I was a kid. I’m psyched to see it again as an adult and see if it stands up.
9. Flash Gordon – Flash Gordon was and will always be my favorite movie of all time. I love it. I know every word, every song from the Queen soundtrack and often find myself “flying blind on a rocket cycle.” I nearly died when the movie Ted came out and they used Flash as the muse in the movie. I never knew that was like a thing. I thought I was the only one who loved that movie my entire life.
10. Swiss Family Robinson – This movie also blew my mind. I loved the family so much and was in awe that their life was so different than mine. I can’t wait to watch this one with our family.
What do you think of our list? Did we miss anything? Probably. I just realized we haven’t even watched The Princess Bride yet! That’s a great one. The good news is we are in love with our new sofa and now that we’re not watching tv during the week, it’s so nice to curl up on the couch Friday night or Saturday morning and cuddle all together. I’ve wanted a leather couch forever and this one is super buttery soft and the color is gorgeous. We all love it. Now, how to solve the fighting over the corner problem.